Google+

Wednesday 27 April 2011

Painting Vehicles – Part 2, Weathering a StormSword

In Part 1 I talked about the base coating. including some basic modulation done to add highlight and colour variation.

DSC_6448

Here's the quite flat looking basecoated model, following very similar steps to the Valk in article 1.

In this part I’ll talk you through the rest of what I do normally. I say normally because sometimes i’ll omit a step, or add another such as a colour dot/blend, but in general most of my vehicles get the treatment from the preceding and this article.

Decals.

I’m not proud, I’ll use em these days :)

DSC_6449

It’s Important to plan the placement of Decals before you start, and to make sure that your model isn't dusty. I’ve tried to decal a model that's been sat in the paint queue a while and gathered some dust.

It’s a bad Idea.

 

DSC_6450

I use Micro sol and set, Realistically I only use sol if I’m trying to bend or fit the decal to an awkward surface, set usually does the job for nice flat areas like this.

With the decals cut out and a shallow dish of water handy I’m ready to go.

 

DSC_6451DSC_6453

The Decals get soaked, 1 at a time, untill the transfer is just lifting from the paper.

For small decals i just pick them up with a paintbrush or needle. Larger decals need to be slid from the backing paper onto the model to avoid tearing.

Give the area to receive the decal a slight wetting with mirco set before you place the transfer, this will help adhesion.

 DSC_6455 DSC_6457

Once the transfer is in place, you can shuffle it around ising the brush to slide it or push at the slightly raised edge.

Once the decal is where you want it, a light brushing of micro set and you should be fine to leave it to dry in place.

 DSC_6459

Apply all the decals to the model before the next step.

 

Chips and scratches.

 DSC_6460

I’m going to show you a couple of different tools I use for scratches and chips. you can use any or all of these on a single vehicle as they will give you slightly different results.

 DSC_6461

The paint I use for scratches and chips is a mixture of greys and a very dark brown.

I find these colours work well with any paint surface, but if you want to try and simulate primer or rust you can always very these tones.

 

DSC_6463DSC_6464

The real trick is not to blend the paint, and leave a marbled mix as above. this means that your chips and scratches will very slightly in colour.

DSC_6462

The three tools I use for this are - (from top to bottom) a make up applicator sponge, a piece of blister foam (held in a haemostat) and a size 000 brush.

 DSC_6465 DSC_6466

 DSC_6467

The large pores of the blister foam make for good, deep, large scratches, I usually use this on the front of the hull, and anywhere there are likely to be frequent impacts and abrasions.

 

 

 

DSC_6468 DSC_6469

The smaller pattern of the make up applicator is excellent for normal wear and tear and chipping such as you find on frequently eroded surfaces and edges.

 

 DSC_6470 DSC_6471

The ultimate controllability of using the edge of a small brush is good for areas where a sponge would cause too much transfer to unwanted areas.

 

 DSC_6472

Here's the scratched tank.

 DSC_6473

As a last step, I use some of the base colour of the hull to weather in the decals.

 

 

 

 DSC_6475

I take this opportunity to visit any areas without paint, such as headlights, and other details to make sure everything is at least base coated.

Seal with gloss coat.

DSC_6480

I airbrush on undiluted Klear to give myself a gloss surface for the next stages of weathering.

The next steps us turpentine based products which not only works best on a gloss surface, it can be moved an manipulated with ease. sealing the paint below is not only enabling it protects the paint.

Weathering

DSC_6481

For me, the first step of weathering is a wash. I years gone by I would have mixed my own oil paint and turps wash, but MiG now make one ready mixed, so on it goes. it defines panel lines and bolts, so it goes everywhere.

DSC_6482  DSC_6484

Once dry this wash can be further manipulated to give a weathered effect.

 

DSC_6485

Using a soft brush slightly damp with turpentine the wash can me lifted and moved around. most usefully the wash that has gathered around the bolts and panel lined can be gently dragged downwards to create streaking.

 DSC_6486 DSC_6487

Oil

 DSC_6489 DSC_6490

A combination of airbrushed brown ink placed around seals and bolts and a burnt umber oil wash targeted on fuel lines and barrels gives us a nice shiny oil like appearance. some of this is also layer onto the freshly drybrushed gun barrel.

Dust

DSC_6504

Dust is layered on using weathering powders and white spirit. I’ve found the best way to apply this for a dusty finish is to wet the area with white spirit using the airbrush, then sprinkle on the powder, and to finally spray more white spirit.

ne mindful though to use a low pressure on the airbrush or you risk blowing the powder away.

DSC_6505 DSC_6506 

Soot

 DSC_6492 DSC_6493

This really couldn't be easier, just gently airbrush black paint where there would be soot and scorching.

Verdigris

DSC_6494

Vallejos verdigris glaze is the key to this effect. all the brass plates are treated to a layer of this paint, watered down to a glaze consistency. you can afford to flood, and to allow runoff.

once this has dry completely, go in with a hard brush and you will find it easy to dust the glaze off the raised surfaces leaving a convincing build up in the recesses.

 

 DSC_6497 DSC_6498    

Mud splashes

DSC_6509 DSC_6510

A mixture of weathering powders and matte varnish, splatted onto the model using a brush with stiff bristles and a scalpel created quite natural looking mudsplashes.

DSC_6511 

Worn metal

DSC_6512

The last step for me is to go in with a soft lead pencil and run the side of the lead along any raised edges I feel need additional wear.

the before and after below should show you the impact of this simple step.

DSC_6513 DSC_6514   

That’s it, that’s what I do. you can see the results below or in my previous post.

DSC_6518

I hope that’s been useful to some of you and that you'll have a go at some of these simple (and not so simple) techniques, and If anyone has any questions I’m always happy to try and help.

Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

  1. Nuts, I meant to shedule this for tomorrow, rather than post. ah well, it's up now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done mate good presentation. I like your control on the battle damage makes it very clean and tidy looking, but realistic at the same time. Some of the techniques you use I also use.

    The oil staines you do I like but I may have a quicker and just as effective way. What I do is I go over the area or around depending on the detail with Brown Ink first. This is to give it a base coat. I then mix two parts Brown Ink to one part Black Ink and one part Klear to give it a shine. I then go over the area I did with just Brown Ink a couple of times. When dry it gives a very realistic look and is very quick.

    If you want to give it a try but don't have any of the GW Brown or Black Ink give me a shout as I have a couple of spare tub's that I can give away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant tutorial. I'll come back and read it all again when I come to do a vehicle
    Craig @ cadian8th

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post- great walkthrough and good quality pics!

    Thanks1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very very nice. I'll have to put those in use one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Subtle work worthy of people like Mig Jimenez or Adam Wilder. I really need to save this post somewhere for the time I'll be doing vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, I'm glad you found it a useful read,

    Dave, I do have about half a pot of the old brown ink here still, thankyou for your most generous offer. It's what I use in the airbrush, and I sometimes mix it with Klear or with tamaiya smoke for the effect you describe. However I found that on a high gloss surface where I am also using turps it can bear up quite badly as it's water based. using the burnt umber wash lets be bypess a days drying and another coat of varnsih, though I agree the effect is a tad better with the inks.

    King's thanks man, be aware, if you want a more pronounced effect, just do it a few more times, - a few passes is better than a bug lump :)

    Tenzing! wow, bill Hicks on my blog!.. wait.. arent you dead?

    Hal'Jin, I'd love to see results if you do..

    Marcin! high praise indeed, though sadly I'm not quite in those leagues yet :) maybe one day... maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, forgot about pointing one thing out. It is the first time I've seen anyone use a proper setting solution on Games Workshop. How was the quality? I am pretty sure they are not Cartograf, and the film must be rather thick. At least, it looks that way, when I compare a set from an old Tiger by Skybow to Imperial Guard sheets I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Karitas,
    I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award :)
    http://fischers-design-shop.blogspot.com/2011/05/stylish-blogger-award.html
    Cheers
    klaus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, an eaten response from "Hell week" that I hadnt put back up!

    Klaus, thanks so much man, its so nice of you to do that, just to know that people you admire like your blog is, well awesome :)

    Marcin.. yes the GW transfers are very think. the setting solution works, but there usually still a small visible lip around the decal.

    If it's an important model, I try to lessen this by trimming close to the edge of the graphic with a scalpel, so it looks like raised paint.

    the other thing I;ve considered is scanning the decals and reprinting on better quality decal paper.

    maybe if I ever enter the GD :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...