Google+

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Experimenting with LED lighting..

 After seeing this guy's flicker I was blown away.

So much so that out came the soldering iron and I set to with a few LED's I already had, a battery pack off a toy car and a small terrain peice i also already had...


Much swearing later I had this thing... no, it's not as impressine as Jon T Law's stuff.. but you know what I can see how to get there from here :)

I had a play with this terain peice and another LED I had.. and now know that I need to got a few more powerful ones than I have..

but that's okay.. this is the first part of a journey... I hope you'll come with me on it as I try to improve my photography and build some new, illuminated terrain peices!




The first one was taken with an extra LED point light, the second with just a long exposure.. and no, no photoshop, that starring was created in lens..

Anyhoo just another insane distraction.. on which your thoughts are always welcome..

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I'm an electronics hobbyist, too, so I really love it when folks do stuff like this. I made a smoking and flickering volcano terrain piece for the Bay Area Open earlier in the year. I wish more folks would do stuff like this. It adds so much to a game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooo very nice. That looks fantastic. Is there much of an issue with heat at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :), yeah these are really very early ideas. I've had a few more thoughts, just need to get hold of more omni-directional lighting that the either dull, or very focused LED's I currently have.

    And Brummie? theres no heat issue at all from the LED lights themselves, but there's a wee bit of one with the soldering iron :) next time, I'll build the terrain and wire it up at the same time, tather than soldering in a small, plastic space :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice i did something similar with my necron monoliths so i can light em up when I use the portal or gaus flux. Also, I like hearing people go OOOOOooooohhh....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm part way through a project to get flashing blue and red LED lighting into an arbites army.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6mJMjV3ouU

    All the LED parts are done, I just have to get to the painting now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...